Homes of

Haby Settlement

Founded in 1844

About Haby Settlement

The Haby Settlement extends along the 2.5-mile Haby Settlement Road parallel to the Medina River. The homes are grouped which provided settlers added protection from raiding Native Americans at the time.

Between the 1850s and 1896, the settlement supported a church, a school and a small store, and later, two butcher shops.

There was water flowing from the ground called Die Quelle (German for the spring). This spring allowed Francois Joseph Haby II’s eight children to create their own garden plots, often planted with large quantities of cabbage for sauerkraut. The Habys’ first homes were log cabins built from cypress trees.

During the 1850s, the families built about 11 typical Alsatian rock homes scattered among the hills along the Medina River. The rock homes all remain to this day. 

– Oefinger, Mary Lee and Florence Santleben Hoffman. “Communities: Haby Settlement.” The History of Medina County, Texas, Rev. ed., vol. 1, Castro Colonies Heritage Association, Castroville, TX, 1994, pp. 97-98.

Joseph George Haby and Josephine (Schott) Haby, Alfred Stein and Elvie (Stein) Haby

Dr. Julius Heusinger "Waldegg Place," Tuerpe, Andrew Haby II and Ida (Schorp) Haby

1350 CR 271

Andrew Haby and Brigitta (Frey) Haby First Stone Home

Joseph Spettel Home

Louis Philippe Haby and Jospehine (Kempf) Haby Stone Home

Jacob Haby and Caroline (Beck) Haby Stone Home

Jean Jacque Haby and Marthe (Kempf) Haby Log Cabin

Andrew Haby and Brigitta (Frey) Haby First Stone Home

Charles Haby and Emelia (Wurzbach) Haby Home

Ambrose Haby's Second Stone Home

Jacob Zacharie Haby's Original Log Cabin

Jacob Zacherie Haby and Catherine (Mann) Haby Stone Home

George Haby Log Cabin, Stone Home and Saloon

Nicholas Haby Log Cabin and Stone Home

Marguerite Haby and Frank Schott House

Mary Ann Haby and John Spettel House

Francis Joseph Haby III and Catherine (Koenig)