By the end of the Mexican-American War in 1848, there was great need for protection of settlers in western Medina County, especially for the new Castro Colony of D’Hanis, as well as for freighters and gold rushers traveling to California. Bowing to this general need, the federal government established a line of posts along the Western frontier of Texas, reaching from Fort Duncan to Fort Worth. One of the posts was Fort Lincoln, established about 3 miles north of D’Hanis.
The site sat west of Seco Creek on elevated land with views on every side. Water in the Seco ran most of the year. At the fort, between 90 and 150 men tracked Native Americans who raided Alsatian settlers nearby and protected the commercial and military property traveling on the Woll Road, the main route from San Antonio to the Rio Grande and California.
The fort saved the settlers of Old D’Hanis who were on the brink of starvation. The army bought corn, contracted hay made locally from the abundant grass, hunted for the settlers, who lacked guns and ammunition, and employed the settlers for certain jobs and as guides.
The mere presence of soldiers proved to be a strong deterrent against the raids. The last of the garrison of Fort Lincoln rode away on July 20, 1852. Some men returned or remained for a time after mustering out. Richard Reily, the fort’s commissary man, who later became owner of the fort, remodeled the hospital and made it his permanent home. While the fort was still active, people began to acquire pieces of land to build homes nearby. The Fort Lincoln settlers came mostly from Old D’Hanis and some were people who abandoned wagon trains going west.
The area soon became known as Seco Settlement with the school as the social center. Stores and other small businesses sprang up and prospered for a time.
– Finger, Josie R. “Communities: Fort Lincoln and the Seco Settlement.” The History of Medina County, Texas, Rev. ed., vol. 1, Castro Colonies Heritage Association, Castroville, TX, 1994, pp.94-95.