The Haby Settlement extends along the 2.5-mile Haby Settlement Road parallel to the Medina River. The homes are grouped which provided settlers added protection from raiding Native Americans at the time.
Between the 1850s and 1896, the settlement supported a church, a school and a small store, and later, two butcher shops.
There was water flowing from the ground called Die Quelle (German for the spring). This spring allowed Francois Joseph Haby II’s eight children to create their own garden plots, often planted with large quantities of cabbage for sauerkraut. The Habys’ first homes were log cabins built from cypress trees.
During the 1850s, the families built about 11 typical Alsatian rock homes scattered among the hills along the Medina River. The rock homes all remain to this day.
– Oefinger, Mary Lee and Florence Santleben Hoffman. “Communities: Haby Settlement.” The History of Medina County, Texas, Rev. ed., vol. 1, Castro Colonies Heritage Association, Castroville, TX, 1994, pp. 97-98.